Pages

Monday, June 17, 2013

{Craft Edition} Minnie Mouse 1st Birthday Party


My sisters and I have been planning my nieces 1st birthday party. Its a little difficult when the host is in another state and will arrive the day before the party. My sister Yanavith and her hubby live in Alaska and I live in California. My sister Nadine has been helping me craft all the little projects that go into making a fabulous party.

We started with the invitation we created in Photoshop. I used the fonts Waltograph and Mickey which can be downloaded for free. The invite set the tone for the whole decor. We incorporated polka dots and the colors light pink and some dark pink, black and white, as well as the Minnie Mouse silhouette.

DIY is the way to go when it comes to keeping costs down, but so very time consuming. We decided to make felt candy bags for the kids 25 Minnie and 25 Mickey bags along with matching Minnie and Mickey ears.

Felt Candy Bags 

This bags are great because you can use them as favor bags or prize bags and they are super durable and reusable.


Felt Polka-Dot Bows

The headbands were made using a tutorial from The Suburban Mom. This is the link to the Youtube video and she also has the template and more information on her Blog. We had to tweak the template to get them just the way we wanted them, but its a great starting point. They are time consuming but so worth the time. If you are not into the DIY or just don't have the time you can purchase the Minnie Ears and Candy Bags at my Etsy Shop :)


No kids party should be without a pinata. They are just so fun and an easy activity to plan. My niece is one year old, so a heavy hitting stick is a problem. So in comes the pull pinata, which consists of having multiple strings with a trap door, one of the strings "breaks" the pinata. We made a number 1 pinata approximately 11x17 inches, and all the strings break the pinata, this one is just for the birthday girl.





Dark pink and black tissue paper was used to cover the pinata and the light pink crepe paper polka dot bow added the Minnie touch. Now we also needed a pinata all the kids could break so we made that one too. This one is pretty big about 27-30 inches tall.  We also used black tissue paper and some black polka dot wrapping paper we already had. 


The pinata has the the design on both sides including the pink polka dot crepe bow. Adding the tissue was a tedious job and I am so glad I didn't have to do it. My sister Nadine added all of the tissue paper to the pinata and the backdrop piece {keep scrolling down to see it}.




These adorable favors are filled with delicious pink taffy. The polka dot boxes are perfect for the Minnie Mouse theme and the Minnie face just adds the final touches. 


I made the Minnie face using black paper and a Minnie Mouse die I purchased on Amazon. 




The Styrofoam balls were glittered with black glitter and sealed with a clear primer to prevent the glitter from going everywhere. We will be inserting these into flower centerpieces so these are just mock centerpieces.  


These pails would also be great to display the Minnie silhouette heads. Simply add styrofoam to the pail and insert the Minnie head. We wanted the tables to have more decor than just the flowers with the Minnie heads {will be adding pictures of the actual party on another post}. So we decided to make mini Minnie Mouse inspired pinatas. 



We were going to make them just light pink but then found polka dot tissue paper and we are so glad we did because it totally changed them for the better. We also added a black felt bow to Minnie it a little. We made 7 of these babies one for each table.


The Minnie Mouse silhouette is slightly bigger than the large pinata. It will be used as part of the backdrop for the dessert table. It will be hung behind a dark pink polka dot fabric and large black and pink balloons on the sides.



Large Pink Polka Dot Crepe Paper Bow



I was told these tassels were easy and I would be done in no time, well let me tell you they lied. It took me hours to make 36 of these tassels. I made them out of tablecloths from Party City and I got 9 from each tablecloth.


{UPDATE} My Etsy Shop is now closed :(

Stay tuned for more details of the actual party!


11 comments:

Veronica said...

SO ADORABLE! Love the mini Minnie pinatas.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Omg you did a great job on the pinatas.im very happy i looked at yours you gave me some great ideas for my daughter' first birthday thats coming up thanks so much for posting your creativity.: )

Anonymous said...

Love the pinata. How did you get the tissue paper to look like that? It is adorable!!

Unknown said...

The number piƱata or the Minnie silhouette?

Anonymous said...

The Minnie silhouette...can't get mine to look like that :(

Unknown said...

My silhouette was made using foam boards from the dollar tree. I used 4 of them hot glued two to make one big one then I drew out the design and cut out with x-acto knife. The sides were covered using cereal boxes and lots of glue sticks for my glue gun. I don't know if you can visualize it. My tissue paper was cut with a flower die cut and my sizzix machine to give it that ruffle effect then I just twisted two pieces at the bottom and hot glued to my board.

Unknown said...

I was wondering how did you make your pinatas the Minnie mouse and the number one. .... You did an amazing job and I am interested in making my own is just knowing what materials to use to make them

Unknown said...

I was wondering how did you make your Minnie mouse pinata.... You did an amazing job I think it came out great.... I would like to make my own but I'm not sure of what materials to use to do that

Unknown said...

Hi Desiree,

I used styrofoam boards from the dollar tree to cut out my shapes. These were used for my flat surfaces. I used tissue paper, a glue gun, and cereal boxes that i curved and hot glues to the styrofoam to cover the sides. I dont have the link to the tutrial I sorta followed but pinterest has lots of awesome pinata tutorials.

Terri Paulson-Sasaki said...

These ideas are adorable. I need to make a pinata for my twin granddaughters' party. I think I might just make both for the party, thanks for the inspiration.

Terri

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template by Sisterly Love Bake Shop