Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Happy Birthday Nick!!




OK, I have to let it out. My friend Nick is a Mets fan, so for his birthday I wanted to surprise him with New York Mets cookies. Well after hours of baking and decorating (and I do mean HOURS!!!) I come to find out he doesn't like birthdays. First of all, Who doesn't like birthdays? Weird? Definitely. But what could I do, the cookies were baked and decorated. I never gave them to him because they were intended to bring a smile to his face not a sour pout. No hard feelings Nick :)

So let me go into detail on how I decorated them. My favorite, as hard as it is to choose, is the NY logo. This was the hardest to make too. It took me several attempts to get it just right, I had to bake about 8 and only got 2 that I liked enough to keep. The word Mets is a close contender to the favorite title followed by the State of New York one. All of these three cookie cutters were custom ordered from Sweet Shapes. I just love her work sooo much!! She is awesome, she has fast turnaround times too.

All cookies were outlined in white royal icing first, then flooded with the desired color. Once those steps were completed, I simply added the decorations and writing. The big NY was outlined again in orange and then orange sugar was poured on it to give it that gorgeous look. Make sure your cookie is completely dry before you add decorations like sugar, and sprinkles to the edges because it will stick.

The baseball cookie cutters and the cake with a candle are from Sweet Shapes also. The letters to spell out N-I-C-K are from Martha Stewart's Alphabet Set purchased at Macy's.

I suggest you practice your writing and design on parchment paper before attempting it on the cookies. Once you get it down go ahead and try on a cookie. I always bake extras just in case I mess up or my niece puts her finger in them LOL! She's my biggest fan!

Now just individually wrap them and tie them with matching ribbon. I use Wilton's Medium bags they come in a package of 100.

Enjoy!!!
*Click for Sugar Cookie and Royal Icing Recipe.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template by Sisterly Love Bake Shop